Sunday, August 17, 2008

Balloons and opera

Daisy's love for balloons is so intense that it is actually a little disturbing. I am not sure how much I want to elaborate on that... but just suffice it to say, when she has a balloon, she holds on to it ALL DAY LONG, and would like to eat, sleep, and bathe with it; that when it passes away, she continues to ask for it for weeks; and that when something jeopardizes it--as in last night, when her balloon got caught in the ceiling fan--she bursts into tears.

Also, OPERA. My mother bought Daisy a video of various short classical music pieces, and Daisy burst into tears listening to a Puccini aria. The next night she begged to hear it again, and we were apprehensive about what might happen, but this time her eyes just welled with tears that did not brim over, and she asked to hear it twice in a row.

EDIT:
The last two times she watched the aria, she said, "The cow is NOT going to cry" (the cartoon cow singing the aria).

6 Comments:

Blogger tb said...

You have a very interesting daughter.

L and I were visiting some friends in Portland a while back. They have two young boys. When a balloon they had got loose and disappeared into the sky, they were near hysterical, like a wonderful friend of theirs had been snatched away.

12:07 AM  
Blogger specules said...

Wow. That's intense.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah Woulfin said...

This makes me smile because my parents are big time opera fanatics. I've heard that the SF Opera does an annual opera-for-kids performance....

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow here too.

A :)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, everyone!

T, your story reminds me: once Daisy had a balloon that started to blow away in Golden Gate Park, and a mother of two--pulling her own toddler by the hand--chased it down with the greatest heroism for me and brought it back. As she handed it to me, panting, she said, "I know how terrible that would have been!" A total stranger. I'll never forget how kind she was!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While showing Daisy this video the other day, she said, "The cow makes Daisy cry." The cow makes Gommy cry, too. Puccini has always made me cry.
Maybe Daisy and I are a duet of saps!
M.B.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home