Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oink oink

I read to Daisy ALL...THE...TIME. Inevitably, you end up asking yourself why you are drawn to certain books and why your heart just sinks when she comes at you with an entreating smile and THAT one held out. Obviously, some narratives are just more engrossing for adults to read than others, but sometimes a very simple story can be quite appealing. No doubt, too, beautiful illustrations to feast the eyes upon are enticing for me as the reader. But after giving it a tiny bit of thought, I have decided that only one rule universally applies:

I do not like making animal noises.

There are some GREAT books with animal noises, so don't get me wrong-- if the book is a good one, I will absolutely read it and make the animal noises. It's just, that's not my favorite thing to do. For some reason, it really tires me out. I always feel like I have to OINK and NEIGH and CLUCK with great enthusiasm and spirit, to make it fun for Daisy, and also because you just sound like an idiot if you're making animal noises in a flat, mechanical way. You either have to go for it or be a complete failure. It takes energy. And, early in the morning, I simply don't feel like oinking spiritedly.

Yet I am the worst offender... I am always checking books out of the library for Daisy that have animal noises in them. I am my own worst enemy. My own worst animal noise-making enemy. Quack quack.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled up on Click Clack Moo awhile back and think that is one of my favorites. It fun to say moo too :) Gotta check it out from the library again soon. Olivia is Eric's favorite. I think we'll have to buy that one for xmas or birthday later on.

Still need to try to get some more rest!

Thanks for the encouragement on the reading!

Adrienne

8:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Adrienne! We love Oliva too. Daisy has many Olivia books and she is absolutely obsessed with them.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home