Thursday, September 25, 2008

Daisy and the purple crayon

Before I explain why I called this post that, I have to report that today, as Daisy and I were getting dressed, she took a close survey of my body and said, "Mama's body is filled with boobies." I asked her what her body was filled with, and she said, "Boobies also."

We love Harold and the Purple Crayon, the bestest children's book in the world, and I have noticed it having quite a good effect on Daisy's artistry. Daisy has always been interested in books and music, but not so much with the drawing. I'd sit her down with some paper and writing implements, and she would sort of hit the pen into the paper so that it made a few spots here and there, or else she'd start smacking other parts of the pen (not the ink) into the paper. As I reported earlier that she insisted once on writing with the CAP of the pen.

But ever since the advent of Harold, Daisy is more into drawing. The only catch is that she needs to draw with a PURPLE crayon herself, thus far. Tonight she went absolutely crazy with the bathtub crayons (well, with the purple one). She drew, and I quote: "mountains, forests, apple trees, THREE apples, moonlight, Harold's bed, Harold drawing the covers, Harold, Harold's footies, Harold's blue pajamas, fish, and... Cubism."

Most of these are things that Harold also draws, so she wasn't exactly being original, but I was still quite impressed. She has finally figured out how to PRESS the tip of the crayon down and produce lines, circles, etc., instead of random, light spots. She made quite a purple mess out of the bathtub. I am happy she's getting into drawing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home