Monday, September 08, 2008

Please get better, day

Yeah. Today so far... not so good. Not that anything tremendously terrible happened, but just a whole series of small annoying things. First thing Daisy said on the monitor this morning was that she wanted to go to the "old merry-go-round." I find that very endearing; she has been letting us know that her loyalties lie with the first merry-go-round she ever went on (the one in Golden Gate Park) as opposed to the one she calls the "new one" (the one in Yerba Buena Gardens that we also sampled recently, new to her because she'd only gone to the other one previously).

We set out for the carousel. No money. I tried to stop at the bank; all the parking spaces in front of the bank, every single one, was roped off. I finally found parking. Dragged Daisy with me to the bank. The ATM refused to dispense money. Stood in line at the bank to get money. Drove to the carousel. There is some kind of film production happening there. It looked kind of exciting--lots of trailers in the parking lot and people dragging heavy equipment here and there. However, not so convenient when you have a child who is dying to get to the carousel. I found parking, but then had to wait while I figured out whether we could cross the line of cones that were blocking us off from entering the playground area. There was a security guy ahead of me in a shouting match with a woman who said she was the executive producer of the film and was demanding to be let through the cones. They were actually shouting abusively at each other. Another man let me walk through the cones, and a second later this woman almost mowed us down with her SUV. Charming.

We get to the carousel, and of course--OF COURSE, because that is the kind of day I'm having--the hours have changed and it is closed and won't be open for another hour and 45 minutes. Daisy was so disappointed that it was physically painful to behold. She tried to pry the doors open with her fingers. Then she started crying, and the worst thing is that it wasn't pouty, tantrummy, annoying crying; it was more like grief. Silent tears filled her big brown eyes, welled over, and rolled down her face. I offered to take her to the carousel at the Zeum in Yerba Buena Gardens; no, she only wanted "the old one." I told her Mark would take her later, when it was open, and she accepted that and allowed me to take her back to the car without a fuss, but the tears were still rolling down her face and her lower lip was trembling. In the car on the way home, she actually looked sort of depressed. It was strange, because I've never seen her like that. I was expecting something more tantrummy, not depression.

We are home now (obviously) and I read her some books. Now she is supposed to be taking a nap. She did not take one yesterday. I really, really need her to take one now, because I have a lot of work to do to get ready for the class I am supposed to teach in a few hours.

I feel... grumbly and overwhelmed by my life. And this is only my first full week back. I keep thinking of her happy, excited face as she ran down the hill toward the carousel. She was exclaiming, "There it is! There's the old one!" I know--not exactly a tragedy, and she'll get to go later. But... it is such a gray and unhappy day, and the whole thing was sad and annoying, and I have to go teach in a few hours, and BLAHH.

And I kind of wish I knew what movie they were filming at the playground. Being me, I did not ask anyone, even though it would have been easy to.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Daisy! But mostly, poor you!!!!! On one of these past really hot days, I took Lulu to Ryder Park in San Mateo to play in the great fountains. We waited and waited in the heat until we heard from another mom that they were doing maintenance on the fountatin that day...Lulu was pretty bummed but in typical Lulu fashion, handled it much more maturely than I did! I was so annoyed!!!!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, that is VERY annoying!! Especially on those super-hot days... I know how important it was to get wet. Hmmm... I think we've got to check these fountains out. Daisy loves splashing in puddles and such. I am going to have to find out where they are!!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have been disappointed too! Have you guys checked out Tilden park much in Berkeley? It can be sunny when SF is not and there is a nice steam train and a carousel over there too! It's been a long time for me, but I'm sure we'll be heading there soon!Hope the day got a little better :) It's been a little rough over here wit the teething but have got some baby teeth on bottom now!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sarah, the last comment was from Adrienne

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home