Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some mommy worries

Daisy has done a strange thing, lately; well, she's done it twice. I am not sure what to make of it. The first time was a few days ago. I had just put her pigtails in and she wanted to look at herself in the mirror, as we always do. She ran excitedly to the full-length mirror in her bedroom. The second she got there, she let out an ear-piercing scream and burst into tears. She screamed Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, hold me. I went running over and picked her up, sure she had just stepped on a tack or experienced some other kind of devastating pain. She was crying so hard she was bright red in the face and gasping for breath. She was clinging around my neck, sobbing and sobbing--not for very long, although it felt long. I kept asking her where it hurt, where the pain was, because there was no doubt in my mind she was in terrible pain. But... I never found the source of the pain, and she was unable or unwilling to explain it to me, and then she calmed down and asked me to read some books.

It was really a strange thing. There was absolutely no lead-up to it; she had been in a fine mood. She is not afraid of the mirror, and in fact was dancing and smiling in front of it later that same day. There was no tack in her foot. There was simply nothing to explain why she burst into tears like that. And it wasn't some little bursting into tears, either. I have NEVER heard her scream that loudly in her life, including when she had her vaccines, and including when she had blood drawn. And it wasn't a tantrum, because it was accompanied by nothing fussy, nothing cranky at all. It was just--total serenity, then heart-rending screams of pain and torment and tears, then--nothing again.

I was hoping it would never happen again, though it bothered me to think I'd never know the cause of it. But something similar happened today at the San Francisco Friends of the Public Library Book Sale. It was a completely different circumstance--a big crowded room full of people and possibly over-stimulating for a sensitive two-year-old. Daisy was not thrilled to be stuck in the front of the shopping cart, but we were getting through it okay. Then--I looked at her and her lip was trembling and the tears were welling up. She let out several VERY loud screams, loud enough that every person in the book fair heard them, though not NEARLY as loud as the scream from the other day. Again, tears poured down, and she told me to hold her, and she was saying, "Mommy, make it feel better, make it feel better, make it feel better." And then it passed again, after a minute or two.

I feel sure that she must be in some kind of acute pain. I don't know how else to understand it. There just isn't any kind of prelude to these fits that makes sense. There has been no warning. She has fussy moods, but they are nothing like this. She's had mini-tantrums, and they are nothing like this. These fits look like extreme pain or extreme fear, not like a kid throwing a fit because she wants something you aren't letting her have. But what kind of pain could it be that would be extremely acute, then pass, then not return for a day? I don't understand. I am worried.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

:-( This sounds horrifying.

I'm going to try to call you soon.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

That sounds so scary!

I don't suppose she's able to later tell you if it was pain or fear?

It sure sounds like fear to me. Poor baby! Poor mama!

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of panic attacks. But maybe not.

Dad

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home