Wednesday, October 01, 2008

My day so far

Daisy is going through a new phase in which she hates to wear clothes--HATES to wear them. This is the first time she's ever fought me passionately on anything, but I can honestly say it was difficult getting her into her pants this morning. The only bright lining was that after I had wrestled her into the pants, she didn't throw a tantrum but accepted the situation rather quickly. Thank God, because this clothes-less thing could be quite a significant problem.

We went to the Conservatory of Flowers for, if you can believe it, the first time since I've lived in San Francisco. Well, I've been there before, but have not gone in. I am so glad I went--I loved it. The butterfly exhibit is still going, and I thought Daisy would enjoy it. It was just so beautiful, wandering around the tropical rainforests, peering into beautiful pools full of lilypads, appreciating the lovely fountains. When we reached the butterfly room, Daisy was... afraid of the butterflies. Yes, it's true. I should have seen it coming. Of course she would be. She said she wanted to go back to the rainforest, post haste.

Later I convinced her to try the butterflies again, and this time she seemed to overcome her fears and like them more. We met a very cute little 3-year-old named Gabby outside the Conservatory and I heard Daisy talking to her about chrysalises. It is always fun when we get to see something live, in person, that we've read about in books. Daisy and Gabby did dances and jumped up and down in front of the Conservatory, and then Gabby and her mom had to leave--but Gabby kept running back to give Daisy flowers she was picking (just tiny daisies and sunflowers growing in the lawn, not the beautiful orchids, of course). Daisy was so polite--it was just adorable. She would say, "Oh, thank you, Gabby!" each time Gabby handed her a flower. Then she insisted that I take one, too, so we would "all each have one." Gabby complimented her twice, telling me, "She really talks a lot!"

It definitely made up for the pants-wrestling episode earlier. And, to make it all even more perfect, Daisy fell asleep in the car but I was able to transfer her successfully to her crib when we got home! She is napping now.

One last cute thing; in Daisy's new book, Mole Music, there is a line that says "Something was missing"--the mole wants to learn the violin, and its music fills a hole in his life. Anyway, Daisy picked up on that line and has been saying it quite a bit. This morning at breakfast, with Mark gone at work, she said to me gravely:

"Something was missing. It is Dada."

2 Comments:

Blogger specules said...

Great anecdote. Both mother and daughter impress me! Re: "something was missing," your kid sounds like a supergenius.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After introducing MOLE MUSIC to Daisy this weekend and reading it 2 or 3 times, she began telling me that "something was missing" at various times during the next few days. On a couple of occasions she said it was "the walrus" that was missing but then she realized it was the "mewsgick" (music) that was missing from mole's life. Now she seems to have a real understanding of the phrase. That girl is a fast learner! M.B.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home