Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Potty training, day one

We waited a long time to start potty training; Daisy is going to turn two and a half on January 20. All my friends have already been potty training for ages and ages. Somehow, though, I never really felt the urgency to get started. As crazy as this may sound, I don't really mind changing diapers. And potty-training sounded so hard and so time-consuming. I did buy a potty, and have Daisy try sitting on it, and I've been reading her potty-related books for months and months now... but I'd never taken a big crack at potty-training itself, if you know what I'm sayin'.

But over the brief winter break between semesters, it seems like the perfect time to get started. Daisy has been under the weather, and so have I, and we're stuck at home anyway--so I thought today was a good day to begin the lovely process. So let's take note of how it went, shall we?

She was enthusiastic about putting on her big-girl underwear, but wept profusely when we asked her to pull it down and sit on the potty. We finally convinced her to sit on the potty with the underpants on, but she wouldn't take them off and cried a whole lot. We shifted gears, and I gave her some lunch. Luckily, she didn't pee during lunch (though I'm sure we've got many accidents ahead, and of course I'm prepared for that). After lunch I suggested sitting on the potty again, and this time--I'm very proud of this--she agreed to pull down her panties. She sat there for about 45 minutes while I read her books. I think this book-reading thing might be the way to go. It's going to be tiring for me, but it made sitting on the potty fun for Daisy. Nothing came out into the potty, although she told me several times that poops were dropping in. Nope, not so much. But that's okay. The first hurdle has been cleared, in that at least she sat there for awhile with her panties down. Afterward, she was very excited to step up on her new stepstool and wash her hands in the sink and she told me, "I'm very happy, Mom!"

Now she is napping in her new pullups. When she wakes up, I guess we'll spend some more time in the bathroom. If she doesn't cry and agrees to sit there, I'm going to feel like I accomplished something, even if nothing comes out again. She seems afraid to let something out, actually; I wonder why? I guess just because it's new.

This is hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home