Thursday, September 24, 2009

Better

Yep. Things are better. Daisy seems to be adjusting to preschool, first and foremost. I had a conference today with two of her teachers and left feeling great about how everything is going. They are kind, smart, and knowledgeable (the teachers) and they had wise things to say about Daisy that showed me they already know a lot about who she is. They told me she is kind and polite, always saying "Please," "Thank you" and "May I." That makes a mother proud! They remarked on her verbal ability and her big vocabulary, and her love of books of course. They noticed how slooooowwwly she does everything, taking her time, which they saw as a virtue (I really need to be more patient with her--I am often telling her to hurry up because she walks so very slowly). They told me she is doing more observing right now than participating, and that she often comes up to a small group and says, "May I watch you?" or "May I help you?" This fit with what I've seen when I've peeked in at her, but it was reassuring to hear that they saw this observing trend as very positive. They noted that right now she is more interested in relating to her teachers than to her peers--all of which completely fit with my own impressions. This makes me feel they are really paying attention to her. They know she's righthanded, and they help her with activities that are hard (like tracing the shape of an ellipse with metal insets--something she's been interested in lately).

The best part was that when I asked whether they thought she was fitting in, they said they all had "great confidence" that she was fitting in well and that she was going to "blossom" in her time at Montessori.

I am feeling that I love the teachers and love the school. I have already seen some great changes in Daisy-- just that she's doing things more independently and saying, "I can do it myself." And I feel a lot of trust and confidence in the school. Thank God I survived the first few difficult weeks and didn't do anything impulsive (like decide it was all too much for us and withdraw her from school).

ALSO, I got a 100% on my first exam in my new grad school program. And almost as excitingly, I parked in two-hour parking right outside the building, because I was running late to the exam, forgot to move my car, and did not get a ticket. YEAH!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of moving sloooowly: Daisy and I had lunch at Angelina's after pre-school the other week. It took one hour to get from the restaurant to our car (parked half a block away). She was "smelling the roses": e.g. dancing with her shadow on the sidewalk, playing hide-and-go-seek with me outside the car and Daisy inside the car and asking to have stories told to her that were made up on the spot. It was lovely. M.B. (Proud Gommy)

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An all good news report.

Gompy

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

Adrienne (anxious mother of 19 month old)

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Congrats to both you and Daisy!

Jenny :o)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, all :-)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

woHOOOOO!!!

*\o/*

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home