Friday, February 19, 2010

Beseechingly

That's the title of this post, because my first random update is that Daisy used the word "beseechingly" today in a sentence. I did a double-take and made her say it again, just to be sure. She is so funny, the way she tries out language. She has no idea what it means, but it was used correctly in the strictly grammatical sense--something like, "Mama, watch me go down the slide beseechingly!"

Second thing from today... I asked Daisy, "Who loves Daisy more than anything in the whole world?" fishing for the obvious answer, ME ME ME ME.... and Daisy said, "Zeezus Cwist." "Jesus Christ?" I asked. "No," said Daisy, "not Jesus Christ. Zeezus Cwist." Uhh... my daughter is really a bit odd.

Third update: things have been better at bedtime, and no repeats of the night terror. Whew.

I have been noticing some changes in Daisy, who is now three and a half. She, in conjunction with her friends, seems more capable of extended imaginative play. It was interesting to see Daisy and Henry today pretending they were on a ship, casting themselves in various roles, inventing narratives, and acting them out. This must be the wave of the future. They pretended things before, but their ability to sustain the imaginative play seems noticeably greater now, and it's also somewhat new that they are making the story up collaboratively, taking cues from one another, and developing this whole imaginary world together.

They made up that there were threatening sharks and pirates in the water, which Henry caught with his "shark and pirate net," and then they pretended to eat them. My favorite Henry line: "Look, I'm eating a hammerhead shark sandwich. Do you see his long, flat head sticking out of the bread?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home