Monday, July 09, 2007

Daisy likes Baby Einstein videos

Should I be horrified? She thinks Vincent Van Goat is high-larious. She sits there mesmerized and laughs her butt off at his antics.

I think I'll settle for being horrified at myself for occasionally sticking her in front of Vincent Van Goat so I can do something else. It's only half an hour long... unless I play it twice.

We had some one-year (almost) photos taken of Daisy today and I had the opportunity to make a complete, beautiful ass out of myself, leaping around behind the photographer singing, in no particular order, "Hava Nagila," "The Wild Rover," "Baa Baa Black Sheep," and a variety of French children's songs, all the while waving a sock monkey over the photographer's head. I wish each and every one of you could have been there. Except then I would have to assassinate you.

Daisy's musical taste is quite varied and interesting. She's a big fan of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and "Bingo" and a bunch of other silly children's songs. She also, we recently learned, LOVES Irish drinking songs. She beams and bops up and down and claps her hands to them. She likes the Elizabeth Mitchell CD our friends Chris and Erin gave us, particularly one in which little kids make bird noises. And today we noticed that she tries to sing along to a Bob Marley song on that CD.

If Mark reads this, he's going to write in and say I'm lying, but I think he has been trying to steer her subtly away from music he doesn't like and toward music he does. I really think we need to let her develop her own bad taste (and I know Mark agrees with me, at least in principle. It's a little harder to practice).

I know I'm biased, but Daisy is the sweetest darling in the world! Gross gross gross gross shut up Mama. Well, I am allowing myself to say it, because I've been worrying about other things. At 11.5 months, she is still not exactly crawling. She can drag herself slowly across the room on her stomach to reach an object, but she doesn't last for long up on her knees. She can stand, in a very wobbly way, holding onto a table, but can't pull herself all the way up to standing (she pulls up to her knees, then gives up). She is not cruising, either.

She talks a lot and has actual words that you can understand--"bus," "dog," "duck," "hi," and others--and I swear to God she has a sentence: "Who's this?" She understands a lot of things, too. Today we were looking at her CDs and she said (swear to God), "What's this?" I said, "It's your music." And she pointed at the CD player. So I think she knows the word "music." For a long time now she's known "clap" and "feet" and "socks" and other things that she can demonstrate.

Soooo, yeah. Slow on the gross motor skills, though pretty good on the fine ones-- she can zip and unzip, turn a light switch off, page through her books very precisely (she adores books and hardly notices other toys nows), feed herself finger foods well, and she's trying to snap her own clothing together, though still has some distance to go in succeeding. She is good at sitting and focusing. I guess none of this should be all that surprising; she's probably a lot like me, which means she'll have a lot to say but not be winning any Olympic events any time soon. Hmmm. Or maybe she'll surprise me and get up one day and start pole vaulting. She'll be the first baby who skips both crawling and walking and goes straight to pole vaulting.

Too long away from blogging has made me blathery. I think I'll go turn off Vincent Van Goat now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home