Saturday, January 10, 2009

Potty training, day 4

Today, Daisy actually told us she needed to pee, and then peed in the potty. It feels like a bit of a breakthrough. Yesterday, she kept saying she needed to go to the potty, but then when we got her there, nothing would come out--and then she'd pee in her underpants later, after getting off the potty. So, she seemed to be developing a sense for the whole process, but the timing was off. Today, telling us she needed to pee and then having it actually happen in the potty feels like a bit of encouragement. I've got to say, I have cleaned up a lot of pee from the floor and from her stuffed chair in the last two days.

Here's my embarrassing confession: because she is so verbal, and seems to be quite intelligent, I thought this was going to be easy!!!!!!!

It is not easy. But when I consider that four days ago, she cried buckets when we tried to have her sit on the potty, and wouldn't let us pull her panties down, I guess we've made progress. She now sits on the potty happily enough (panties down), and she's really into the part where we dump the pee and the flushable wipes in the toilet (and she gets to flush). And she likes standing on her red stepstool and washing her hands.

The thing about it that's a drag, however (well, one of the things) is that I feel like my life has changed overnight into this constant monitoring of her facial expressions to see if she's having a bodily function. All day long we go back and forth from the potty, and I stare at her face for signs of something happening. Before I started this process, we were just happily living our lives and focusing on other, more interesting things, and I truly didn't mind the diapers so much.

So... I am doing this not because I am sick of diapers, but because I think it is my duty to help her on her way to growing up. It's a strange feeling, since I'm NOT in such a hurry, personally... it just seems like the right thing to do by her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

It's good that she's interested in flushing. I know nothing about my own potty training--We Do Not Discuss Such Things--but to this day I find the noise of flushing to be just a tad overwhelming, at least at night when everything else is very quiet. I hear that many nervous toddlers share my view on this issue.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home