Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tired but happy

Some updates in my life...

1) I am very happy that I've been exercising more. I have been going to a yoga class with my friend Dena, and I have a Cardio class at the YMCA that I am really enjoying. This has been soooo good for me. The only problem is that I seem to have a pulled muscle in my chest; I noticed it before I started all the exercise, but I guess the exercise has exacerbated it a little. I hope it doesn't cramp my style. Now that I've gotten into the swing of things, I do not want to stop.

2) I am happy that I have been doing pretty well in school so far. I have been happy with my grades. I completely humiliated myself in my Cross-cultural Counseling class the other day, but I think I will save that for another post-- one that doesn't have the word "happy" in the title. I had a paper and a presentation due this week, so it was a hectic week and I'm glad I survived. I had a bit of an anxiety attack before the presentation, but I was able to come out of it and still do my part (not that I did a brilliant job or anything). Now I just have to figure out how to deal with having anxiety attacks when, really, I don't think there's any reason to be nervous. I was prepared, I was ready to go, I was not afraid of my teachers or my classmates, and I WANTED to get it over with. But I still had the little anxiety attack. Why does my body have to go all crazy on me like that when my brain is right where it needs to be? Irritating.

3) I am happy about the neat stuff I've been doing lately. Last night I got to see a preview of Arwen's new play at the Magic Theatre at Fort Mason, Mrs. Whitney; saw it with Ann Marie and we loved it. It was engaging, funny (in a dark way), and very well acted, with dialogue that was well done and great characters (which I love). Then, today I got to go to Gilroy Gardens with Mark and Daisy, where we met Adrienne, Eric, and Phoebe. It is a fun place. We did two different merry-go-rounds (one was miniature, so the kids could go on by themselves), about twelve times since carousels are Daisy's favorite thing on earth, and Daisy did a little rollercoaster with fish cars twice. We had a picnic and walked around a bit, but not as much as I would have liked, as Mark had to get home for an event. I will post some pictures. I wish we could have done more stuff, but next time. Oh, and I have to put this good energy out into the universe for an act of totally unexpected kindness from a stranger: one of the admissions people, when she saw us standing outside staring in total bafflement at the prices and thinking of not going in, waved me over, slipped me a piece of paper with a special deal on it, and gave us the most unbelievable discount. I think the total price for us all to get in would have been over a hundred dollars, and we got in for under thirty. Why did she do that? Random kindness and sympathy for strangers. What a good person.

4) I am happy that Daisy's been doing so much better in preschool, liking her teachers and making some friends, and hopefully learning things, too (it's kind of hard to figure out what she's up to, but I know we'll learn more at our official parent-teacher conference on Monday). And I am happy about the Friday tradition we've got going with Dena and Henry and some other moms and kids from the preschool; we've been checking out different playgrounds every Friday after school and it's been lots of fun. Yesterday we did the fabulous Golden Gate Park children's playground and carousel, and on other weeks we've done Julius Kahn, Rossi, and Rochambeau playgrounds. It reminds me I am lucky to live in a city with so much to do (as some weeks I get to pining for the country and for peace and quiet and easy parking, etc. etc. etc.).

5) I am happy my cousin Rachel visited me last week.

These are in no particular order and there are lots of other things I'm happy about, but I will stop there for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home