Sunday, March 12, 2006

Paranoid?

I am starting to think I may be a wee bit paranoid.

I often think strangers are giving me dirty looks, looks that suggest that they feel a certain way about me. Part of the time I might be right, of course. But sometimes, something happens that conclusively informs me I’ve been wrong. For example, the other day at the YMCA I was on one of my favorite machines, and immediately after I got on it I began to feel a man was giving me a dirty, impatient look, implying I should get off and let him have it, even though I had only just gotten on. I endured the discomfort for a few minutes, then got off and left in a huff, yielding to him and his dirty looks. But then, I peered back through the window into the exercise room and saw that the man had not gotten ON the vacated machine; in fact, he had gotten on some other machine. So now I think he was never giving me a dirty look in the first place.

Perhaps people are not giving me as many dirty looks as I think they are. I don’t know which is worse: the world being full of hostile people, or having to face that my judgment and intuition are not as good as I think they are.

I hope the baby takes after her father.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that the tsunami of hormones sweeping through you these days might affect how you evaluate such encounters. On the other hand, as someone famous once said, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh Bill, I wish I could blame the tsunami of hormones, but I have forever been this way. The only new development is the afterthought, "Hmm, maybe they *weren't* giving me a dirty look."

Today the tsunami of hormones gave me a wicked nosebleed...I've been getting them periodically since the pregnancy and had never had them before in my life. My pregnancy books say it's associated with heightening estrogen levels. Whatever the cause, ICK.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Surely Bill considered "hurricane of hormones" and opted for less the alliterative "tsunami of hormones" instead because tsunamis aren't as sensitive a subject matter as hurricanes these days. Surely.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

I meant "the less alliterative"

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh sure, Mita, let's go with that...

I feel for ya, Sarah. I've had other friends who have been through pregnancy and they've told me all about wacky horrific side effects. It'll all be worth it. That reminds me, when are you officially "due"?

6:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am due on July 21, but who knows... from what I hear, the due date can be quite inexact. So we'll see!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I was going to quote some PERFECT Cynthia Kaplan on the subject of nosebleeds and so on, but then I realized I'd be quoting the better part of four pages. So I just scanned it and sent it to you. It seems almost like something you might have written yourself!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Meghan, I loved this! I just read parts of it out loud to Mark. I _loved_ her castigation of the what to expect tome. Almost everything she wrote rang a bell, except for the part about the fat ass. I am getting a fat belly, but I am incapable of getting a fat ass, it seems--which is one of the only places I was looking forward to getting fatter. No, apparently. I am destined not to have a butt. NOTHING can be done to give me more bootie. This bootie is a totally lost cause.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home