Friday, October 10, 2008

Tidbits from today

We had a lot of fun today at a Crissy Field Fantastic Friday with Dena and Henry. Daisy loved wading in the little, surprisingly warm rivulet of the bay where we took the kids. She did not want to get out, even though she was soaking wet from the pants down and it was a windy day. I think it was a great little adventure, and we enjoyed our picnic lunch with Dena and Henry afterward. I wish I'd remembered my camera. I am really going to miss this time with her when she's in preschool.

Daisy said some things today about George W. Bush which I couldn't quite understand. She also said, "What happened to the nineteenth century?" It used to be I could figure out where she was getting pretty much everything she said, but now I often can't tell where she's gotten something. She is full of quirky comments.

Mark said that while I was making dinner tonight, Daisy spent a lot of time leafing through my daily planner and babbling to herself. She said, "This is my book that I write on," and made up some kind of long narration about what was in it. Just now when I went to write in it I noticed how crumpled the pages were. She has definitely been making stuff up more--narrating little stories about her toys, for instance. She makes her two Playmobil clowns go to bed and take naps, and then they wake up and they're hungry and they play games, etc. Sounds mundane but is actually a new development for her.

Also, out of the blue today she told Mark she "loved him very much" and said to me, "I love you, Mama." She has said she loved us before, but usually there is a little prompting from us :-) This time, it was completely spontaneous. If she had any idea how it affected us, she would be saying it every single day, at least ten times a day. (I suppose its effect would wear off if she did, though.)

LATER EDIT: I figured out the "nineteenth century" reference. There's this ballet excerpt she loves to watch in which the dancers are dressed as penguins, "Great Auks," actually--and the excerpt begins with this somber speech that says, "By the beginning of the nineteenth century, numbers of the Great Auk were already diminishing significantly as the result of persecution by man." That's right-- she was trying to tell us about a poor penguin who became extinct by the mid 19th century.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait until she starts telling you she loves you because she wants something...that's what Lulu does!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ahhhhhh!!! Yes-- that is probably the next stage in the "I love you" game. She hasn't figured it out yet!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home