Friday, March 17, 2006

Mita's visit!

We just had a very fun visit with my birthday twin, Mita (May 24, 1974--best day ever, y'all). We have known each other a long time now... it must be nine years. Almost ten? We did a lot of walking (including in the rain), eating food, and sitting around giggling. Our culinary choices gave everyone gas, which led us to create the following 18th-century novel or Restoration drama alter egos for Mark and me: Sir Blowhard Rockingham (well, that one didn't have so much to do with gas, other than in the metaphorical sense) and Lady Constance Farting. But, for the record, although pregnancy HAS been increasing my indigestion symptoms, they mainly manifest in burping, heartburn, and acid stomachs. It's just that none of those sound quite as good for an 18th-century alter ego as Lady Constance Farting. Maybe Mita will want to dispute my possession of the name?

Mita had to leave to return to her life in Seattle (wahhh), but I loved seeing her and wish she lived here so we could see each other all the time...we have fun together no matter what we are doing (even if it's just sitting in the apartment making up silly quizzes). Thank you so much for coming and making me giggle so much, Mita (I have learned that I have a very obnoxious-sounding laugh).

Well, Mita is gone, but I am Pure Nerd enough to still be greatly amused by the 18th-century Novel Name Game and have just now penned the opening line of Act I, Scene I of my faux-Restoration drama:

Curtain rises. Enter Lady Manley Ballsworthy and Lord Potsie Campervan, clearly tense with one another.

[Please note that no one who reads this blog is Lady Manley or Lord Potsie. But if you would like me to think of an 18th-century novel or Restoration drama name for you, you may apply and I will take your request into consideration. Thank you-- Lady Constance Farting.]

9 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Oh Sarah I had so much fun too!!! Count on me being back soon.

Now, I might dispute your appellating (boy I've twisted the meaning of THAT verb) yourself as Lady Constance Farting as I was the one who, well, you know. But I've decided to graciously allow you to be LCF, for I've come up with Lady Willa Fartsmore for myself. (Geez ... I love how determined we are to have our defining characteristic be how much gas we have!!)

Now if we can only devise a scene in which Ladies Constance Farting and Willa Fartsmore cleverly scheme to cuckold the unsuspecting Sir Pompous Cockington by confronting him with the flirtatious comportment of Madame Sique de Guy. Hilarity would certainly ensue!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggested title for your Restoration opus:

"The Importance of Eating Fiber"

9:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Heee hee hee. Thank you, Matt. I really appreciate the way it fits perfectly with the meter of the original title. I dub thee Squire Cleverton. (You could be a Lord, too, except that I realized I am making *everyone* a Lord or Lady.)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Willa! (Dame Willa Fartsmore? As I said, not EVERYone is lucky enough to be a "Lady.") I actually think you and Mark invented Lady Constance Farting, so I shouldn't have tried to steal her all for myself. I appreciate your suggested plot for my play wholeheartedly, but if Sir Pompley Cockington is to be cuckolded, we need to devise a scheme in which his wife, Duchess Swainhunter,is seduced by the surprisingly salacious Friar Turkington.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, it reeks that the one time you folks actually have a conversation on my specialty, I'm three thousand miles away...Keep in mind that to do Restoration drama properly, you need to include cross-dressing and scandalous revelations of previously unknown family connections (with or without direct or implied incestuous subtexts...) Oh, and a pirate: gotta include a pirate in there.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, Bill! We do need your expertise, given that I think I've read all of three Restoration dramas in my entire life. And that's if you count _The Rover_ as Restoration drama; does that count?

11:51 AM  
Blogger arweena said...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i missed Mita. :( She is rad. can I play with you guys next time she visits?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Yes!!! Totally!! In fact, I would have tried to arrange something for this time but it was such a whirlwind visit (she arrived Wed. evening and left Friday AM). She promised to come back soon, though!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

Arwen!!!!! I know!!!!!!!! Next time. Promise.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home