Sunday, March 26, 2006

Some updates

1) My beautiful and brilliant and charming friend Linda has been in town for a Renaissance literature conference and just left this morning. You will think I am biased, but I have the *loveliest* friends, as I would say all the same things about my friend Mita who visited right before Linda. I am so proud of my friends. If they are any reflection on me, I must be a fabulous human being :-) Okay, not, but in all seriousness, I am very appreciative of and grateful to my friends. They are family-like to me. (For anyone who doesn’t know, I am not ashamed to tell you that my own sister has been in town from Seattle for a week and opted not to see me at all. I am not whining; I feel very lucky that I have women in my life who are like sisters.)

Linda introduced me to Alexander Calder, an artist who was part of the surrealism movement of the 20s and 30s. She suggested a visit to SFMOMA, where we saw the most captivating exhibit of his art, including a good selection of his mobiles, which I feel I would flail about and not do justice to in attempting to describe—-I guess you could loosely describe them as abstract, imaginative, sometimes somewhat whimsical kinetic sculptures--but they are beautiful and creepy sometimes and amusing all at once, as were some of his made-up “beasts” (with names like Devil Fish, Apple Monster, and Parasite). Folks who live around here, I hope you will get the chance to go see the exhibit. It’s there till May 21. The posters for it around town, at least the ones I’ve seen, are featuring a funny, odd piece of found-object art (I think) called “Wooden Bottle with Hairs,” but you also need to see the strange dangly mobiles and “stabiles” (some of which have parts that move, too, but which stand on the floor as opposed to hanging from wire). Trust me, you will want to steal one. I also really liked his wire sculptures “Acrobat,” “Fishbowl,” and “Hercules and the Lion.” I like it when art makes me stare and giggle.

We got reprimanded by a museum guard for trying to take a little shot on a cell phone, surreptitiously. Add one to my collection of museum guard reprimand anecdotes!

We also briefly perused the surrealist photography exhibit and saw some very cool pieces but were running out of energy at that point and so I feel I’d need to go back and see it again to do justice. And we went to the exhibit of photography from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, there till May 30, which Mark and I had been wanting to see for awhile. All in all, I will not pontificate but just say there are some exhibits well worth seeing at MOMA right now.

It was fun having Linda in town and introducing her to some of my good friends here; I will miss her! Excitingly, though, Amy and David and their daughter Adele are arriving today and I hope to see as much of them this week as possible.

2) Last night we went to an engagement party in Berkeley for Mark’s cousin Anna and her fiancé Ron-—very lovely, though we couldn’t stay as long as we wanted to, because we were headed right on to a show at the Time Out in Concord, where Mark played in two bands: first Destroyer, a KISS tribute band in which he is the guitarist Ace Frehley (I refuse to spell it as they do, "Desstroyer"--it's not right), then Wildside, a Motley Crue tribute band in which he is Vince Neil. I have a ton of pictures from the show and will probably display some of them shortly in another post. There was an enthusiastic crowd, which made me happy, and our friends John and Rachel and Tom and Rachelle were there. Yay for me! (Didn't have to lurk in the club alone.) Mark was a little disappointed in himself because as Ace, he tripped and fell backward onstage after getting tangled in some of the equipment cords. It didn’t help that he was wearing huge platform shoes. It in no way damaged the evening, however, in my opinion, and he was able to rebound beautifully in Wildside, all resplendent in a brand new pair of fake leather pants.

Because I’ve been so paranoid about exposing the baby to a lot of loud noise, and also because I don't drink anymore (obviously) and have a more limited ability to appreciate the joy of bars, my original plan was to hang out in a Starbucks around the corner and read my book, then go over to the show later and just see part of it. However, I was driven out of the Starbucks almost immediately by the presence of two insane and possibly tweaking men. They were busy harassing two unfortunate fifteen-year-old girls, who luckily had each other and cell phones and so were able (I think) to call their parents to come rescue them (the management of teenaged boys did nothing to help). Both of the tweaking men sat staring steadily at the two girls, sometimes silently (which was in itself very creepy), while at other times the more gregarious of the two chorused streams of bizarre and disturbing nonsense in their direction. The more normal of the two had approached them and learned that they were sophomores in high school, a theme that the crazier one took up, then began repeating, “They’re soft s’mores! They’re soft s’mores! They’re soft s’mores!” over and over and over again, punctuated by bursts of loud, hyena-like laughter. I thought about waiting till the girls’ parents showed up, but I decided to leave, because I was sure that when the two girls left, I would be their next target, as the only other woman (or person) in the creepy Starbucks. I would have nobody to call to rescue me and would have to walk alone in the dark from the Starbucks to the Time Out, very possibly pursued by these two men. I thought it was sad that my plan to read my book was derailed and that I had to flee the Starbucks to enjoy the comparatively much less creepy crowd at the BAR. It just isn’t right.

3) I am tired because I think I got two hours of sleep last night, at most. I know I have more to say but I am going to have to trail off for now.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Heh heh. I like how Linda's visit was all about Calder and museum visits and mine was all about gas and bloating.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hee hee hee. Sorry about that! I suppose I could have narrated the two visits very differently from the way I did, but I wasn't thinking about how they would look if compared. Though, in all honesty, is IS true that I got more gas with Mita than with Linda. But is gas necessarily a bad thing? There must be some good things about it... like the field of hilarious fart jokes it generates. A good fart joke is invaluable in life.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little wire calder mobiles (like the Aquarium one you mentioned) are the ones I like best! Last winter, the University Art Museum in Berkeley had some of his earlier models (from his childhood/early adult years) which were great fun, as you could see the circus and other animal motifs. Alas, they're no longer on display! Hopefully they will pop up again someday. Kind of makes you think you can create ingenious things with paperclips... (ok, not really...)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Just to clarify--I meant the ACTUAL visits and not how they were narrated. But come to think of it ... I don't know how I feel about people thinking of me as Sarah's farty friend. I mean, I know Mark will respect me more ... but I'm imagining meeting your other friends and they'll be, like, "Oh ... so YOU'RE the one who gives Sarah gas." And I can't decide if that's funny or embarrassing.

Can I change my name to Duchess Sophisticatia Smartly?

11:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am going to have to tease you a little bit, Mita, since I actually did not associate you with gas in my post... or, at least, I only mentioned my OWN gas, in labeling myself Lady Constance Farting. Then you wrote it and demanded to be called Lady Willa Fartsmore, thus calling attention to your OWN, er, bodily functions. However, you are totally right that I focused on gas in my Mita post, and that was only one of many things I could have said... what can I say, you bring out the eight-year-old boy in me! And I love ye for it.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

PS
I am sorry, I meant to address that last comment not to Mita but to Duchess Sophisticatia Smartly.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ooh, Katherine... maybe you and Tom would want to go to the MOMA with us sometime? I could certainly go back. I would go to Calder again and also try to see more of the Surrealist photography exhibit, and I could always poke around the permanent collection and the gift store, etc. Do you and Tom plan to go?

4:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

PS
Regarding doing artful things with paperclips: Mark and I fashioned our very first wedding rings out of paper clips. It was beautifully symbolic of having met in an English graduate department. We were SO twenty-three. At least, I was.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home